Saturday 20 November 2010

Getting better broadband in Oxfordshire

In a previous posting I analysed my poor broadband service, "My Broadband speed - or lack of it".

Next step



I have had a couple of run-ins with Oxfordshire CC (this is a copy from an email I sent my MP Tony Baldry):

"Browsing the Oxfordshire web site (www.oxfordshire.gov.uk) and found this news

"Encouraging broadband improvements
Published on: November 11, 2010

Oxfordshire County Council and its partners are encouraging local people to register for BT Infinity in their thousands to get across the message that people in the county want a better standard of broadband.

I have emailed them to say

1 They should take the initiative themselves to insist that broadband provision is part of any planning approval, just as water, electricity and sewage are

2 They should NOT be recommending any one supplier over another, it is wrong for them to ask us all to go to BT. I for one do not want anything to do with BT as their service and arrogance to me has been unacceptable. I would not sign up for this service if I could get it from another ISP."

Council follow-up



And I have written to the person who is driving the matter in the CC (David Robertson):

"Dear David

I live in an area of Banbury which is a broadband blackspot (OX16 1GB). None of the suppliers I have contacted (BT, Sky, Orange...) can quote me better than 0.5Mbps speeds. In reality I get less than this and have an average download speed of less than 400kbps).

I don't think I am alone is having such a poor service. As far as I understand it this is due to the fact that BT have not upgraded my local exchange, or made any planning what-so-ever to install equipment to improve matters. I have been in direct contact with them about this (Alison Bauress at alison.bauress@bt.com).

I have today found on the Oxfordshire web site an article about improving broadband speeds across the county. I would comment

1 I object completely to be asked to register for BTs new proposed fast broadband. It is wrong for the council to be promoting BT commercial services over other ISPs. I will not register or ask for any services from BT after the poor and arrogant customer service they have given me in the past (about which I have already complained to Tony Baldry before I could get them to even talk to me..)

2 It should be a part of the fundamental running of the county to have broadband as a service, in the same way as electricity, water and sewage. You should mandate the provision of minimum standard broadband (2Mbps) as part of any planning approval. No broadband, no approval).

3 Since I have a very keen interest in this matter, I would appreciate being kept up to date with any and all thinking and decisions about the matter. Thanks.

Best Regards


Antony Watts"


I will post replies when and if I get them.

No comments: