Sunday 24 June 2012

Apple PhotoStream vs Dropbox Upload

Dropbox recently updated to version 1.5. This introduced a new feature, iPhone Camera Uploads. And very good it is too.

Previous to this the way to get your photos from the iPhone to your computer was to use Apple's PhotoStream. This automatically uploaded photos from the phone to iPhoto app on your computer. But it had problems:

- it was very slow and uncertain in operation; often I found my pictures never got sent from the iPhone.

- it brought the photos directly into iPhoto, with no way (well only a complicated way) to get at the photo files without opening iPhoto and exporting them - for example to join a series together as a panorama (I use DoubleTake for this…)

- it only works on WiFi, not on 3G. I have an unlimited 3G contract and my 3G speeds are just as fast as my home broadband, so this is a stupid and annoying limitation.

So I have decided to switch Photostream off. A brave move you might say, but I don't mss it.

Because instead I am using Dropbox. A new menu option at the bottom of the dropbox screen on the iPhone now includes "Upload"; hit this and immediately any new photos you have taken are uploaded, over WiFi or 3G. They arrive in a new Dropbox folder called "Camera Uploads" which is then accessible from anywhere.

I can run through the photos quickly (select the file and hit the Space bar to Quickview), delete any I don't like (⌘/Command - ←/Delete) and then either drop those pictures I want to keep on to the iPhoto icon in the dock to import them. Or put them together first as a panorama using DoubleTake (which has a very convenient button to automatically import the result into iPhoto).

An additional benefit is that screen shots made on the iPhone (Home+Power buttons) are also uploaded.

2012 06 24 13 12 13

There, quick and easy

No comments: