Saturday 23 April 2011

Internet on my TV


Whoopee. I have now two good ways to get internet on my TV. My home system looks like this

Screen shot 2011-04-24 at 17.28.59.png

Everything that is possible is connected by wireless.

1 Using an Apple TV connected by an HDMI cable, this gives me streaming of movies from my computer (MacBook), access directly to iTunes movies, YouTube etc. But it did not give me the BBC iPlayer as they have neither done a deal with Apple to put the software on the Apple TV, nor do they allow the web site video to be streamed from my iPad by AirPlay (get with it BBC)

2 By connecting my TV, a Sony Bravia, by ethernet to broadband. The way I do this is genius... I have a home router and a WiFi network, everything in my home works by WiFi , music, browsing, movies.... Anyway what I did was to use an Apple Express. This connects to my network and lets me both stream music to my HiFi system from my iPad or MacBook, and it also provides an ethernet output which I have connected to my TV! So putting the TV on-line.

It works a treat. Now we have all the services provided by Sony on our TV.

3 And I can play music from my iPad (iPod) or my MacBook (iTunes). Stream video from my iPad (Video or any other program supporting Airplay) or MacBook (iTunes) to the TV. And control the iTunes on my MacBook remotely from the iPad or iPhone. I can also send photos between the iPad, iPhone and MacBook (Photosync), on the iPad and iPone the photos go straight to the Photo app, on the MacBook they go to either iPhoto or Aperture.

These blog pages can be written from either the MacBook (MarsEdit) or the iPad (BlogPress).

No comments: