Because they are trying to solve the wrong problem. The problem is not increasing CO2 and Green House Gasses leading to global warming. You thought it was, no?
No the problem is where do we get our future energy from to sustain our lifestyles!
And this is where we need to focus, solving this problem will automatically solve the Global Warming problem.
Fossil fuels will peak in 2015-2025, and before this the price will rocket. If we switch to the hugely expensive (both in capital need and clean up cost) nuclear energy, then we will face another crisis, a peak in Uranium about 20 years later. Then the world will start fighting again (like we are in Iraq for oil) for domination of those countries that have plentiful Uranium.
So nuclear is not the way forward. It is just a desparation measure of this government - and to implement it we must ask the French (Energie de France EdF)) to build the reactors, as we have little expertise of our own.
We must turn to energy solutions that come from the only source the world has, the sun. In the end all energy comes from the sun, coal and oil were products of photosynthesis millions of years ago. Wind, Solar heating and Solar PV (electricity) are the energy of today. This is what we must focus on. The most productive of these is Solar (both thermal and PV/electric). Notably in UK we have NO industries producing either wind turbines or solar panels! That's government for you.
Here's a couple of charts that show the oil peak and the energy gap that will hit the UK in 2015 (yes just 2015 when the lights could go out, if our wretched government does not stop sitting on its hands and do something, after fiddling around and doing nothing for 10 years or more). And the second chart shows our consumption and the possible energy we could get from sustainable sources.
So if we in the West build sustainable energy sources, we will reduce CO2 and save the planet for everyone else. So developing nations stop belly aching and asking us for £1000B's to combat Global Warming, and start contributing your selves. Start by stopping de-forestation.
So, in my opinion:
- Forget Hydro, Wave, Tide & Geothermal. Ignore all publicity, claims and bullshit about them.
- Focus on Wind & Solar (Biomass will take up all our agricultural land, I would rather have food). PUSH, PUSH, PUSH these solutions Mr Politician.
- Change your car to electric, or a smaller one at least (the new VW?). Stop building motorways, Mr Politician.
- No more flights, gosh, disaster. Have to take the train - its only x20 more expensive - have to do something about that Mr Politician! Stop building airports to start with, plough the money into railways Mr Politician.
- MAJOR DOMESTIC ISSUE: we need to insulate 25million UK houses to save heat loss. Crash action plan needed, Mr Politician.
- Drastically reduce "Stuff" - packaging is typical first target here. Supermarkets take note, many other issues here... Mr Politician.
Easy eh? Except for the politicians. Grr!