Tuesday 22 January 2013

Letter back from my MP - not all answered, but hey ho...

Dear Antony,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I agree, I think there are some very reasonable issues about how MEPs engage with electors. Personally, I think it was, so far as the UK was concerned, a much better system when one had an individual MEP representing a distinct geographical area, rather than as we have at present a number of MEPs representing a region on a proportional vote basis.

The difficulty with this system is that too many people are unaware as to who are their MEPs, and MEPs have no particular incentive to get involved with any particular geographical area, towns or communities within their region.

Regional lists may work better elsewhere in some other places in Europe where they have a much longer tradition of regional government or regional identity, but I don’t think there is any regional identity for the South East and people in Banbury have very little in common with, for example, people in Folkestone.

However, I think this must be more about electors holding MEPs to account and there will be elections to the European Parliament next year and I think these are perfectly fair and reasonable questions for electors such as you to put to the MEP candidates as to how they are going to ensure that they remain engaged with electors.

Best wishes,

Tony Baldry

No comments: