Sunday 30 August 2020

GPS QSO aid, Position & Time and Clock

I have been busy. It has always seemed to me that a GPS could be useful in the shack and in the field, So I have developed a very simple piece of hardware and a sketch to give 3 views of GPS data.

A GPS receiver can give you, amongst other things, the date, the time and your position in latitude and longitude. These things can be useful to the radio amateur, date and time for logging QSOs, and lat & lon translated to Maidenhead Locator for your stations position. 

I have chosen to display 3 different views, like this

The first is a display for QSO use, the second the raw GPS data and the third a conventional clock. All times are in UTC as this is GPS basic time.

BLOCK DIAGRAM / CONNECTIONS

After this digram was drawn I added a three way toggle switch connected to UNO pins A2 - GND - A3. This selects the type of display to show on the OLED display.

SOFTWARE
The software needed for this project is on my web site M0IFA.me.

1. The sketch itself is called GPS_HAM, copy and paste it into a new Arduino sketch and save with this name.
2. An Oled header file which gives the initialisation and  a set of functions based on the public u8g2 library for displaying text, numbers, clock hands, dates and times (and lots more if you need them). Put this is a folder called Oled in your libraries folder
3. The u8g2 library, which you can download from the internet, or copy from my site libraries
4. The Arduino SoftwareSerial and TinyGPS libraries which, again, you can download from my libraries.

Put Oled, SoftwareSerial and TinyGPS in their own folders in your local "libraries" folder.

BOX IT
I have ordered a small plastic box in which I will mount an Arduino Nano (replacing the development UNO I used), the GPS antenna and NEO-7 module and the OLED display. It will be powered from a 12V supply to the Nano which will them power the OLED and GPS.


No comments: