Wednesday 30 September 2020

My Small Shack

My shack is small and ALL indoors. The antenna is a small 60cm loop a-top an Auto ATU here:

You wouldn't think with my 5W you could get far with that, would you? But I enjoy my contacts using digital FT8 mode, especially on 20m. This is the rest of my shack, first the big picture:

Left to right, GPS clock, iMac, MacBook, FDM-DUO and 13.8V PSU

The GPS clock has been described in this blog below, it runs beautifully, but I have not yet boxed it up... The old iMac is a bit on the slow side, but runs WSJT, Grid Tracker and displays my log file. Underneath the iMac is a low cost Android tablet running ELAD Blueduo app. This gets spectrum and CAT data from the FDM-DUO transceiver via a small Bluetooth dongle and displays it. Next is the MacBook running Parallels and Windows 10, and then running the ELAD FDM-SW2 SDR suite. Lastly is the FDM-DUO transceiver itself with a home made 13.8V power supply, also described in this blog.

And here is the iMac running WSJT for FT8 mode:

iMac running WSJT

And the MacBook running Parallels, W10 & FDM-SW2, zoomed in on 14074kHz FT8 signals.

MacBook running Parallels, W10 & FDM-SW2

The FDM-DUO transceiver - an elegant, very small, very hi-tech SDR. With amazing performance, an almost entirely digital radio. But low powered at 5W output.

On the left a Bluetooth dongle to communicate with 
the Android tablet running Blueduo app.

The Android tablet running Blueduo app. Displays the spectrum and waterfall, and is able to control the FDM-DUO by CAT commands. 

Android tablet running Blueduo.

And that is it. Latest conquests, W. Sahara and Cyprus. That's DX for me!

No comments: