Wednesday 11 May 2011

Skype and IM bellyache

Well blow me down, what a pain, Microsoft has purchased Skype.

First let me say that I cannot for the life of me see how they can get a return on the massive $7B they have spent. Sykpe has a very small income, nowhere near a reasonable 5-8% return on investment that as a minimum you might expect. Several others have owned it and found out this miserable truth. Better to buy some oil shares?

Too many systems



Second there is the world-wide problem of seemingly dozens of messaging systems that are incompatible with one another. I am not an expert, but the least I know is that iChat does not talk to Messenger, that Facetime does not talk to anyone... That Blackberry messenger does not talk to anyone either... for me, mobile phones and SMS are the only way I can be sure I can contact my friends.

Please, please...


...someone bring out a single, world, internet messaging standard. I don't care who, though I would prefer it was Apple as their interfaces are always much better, but I might accept Microsoft even if everyone else would get on the bandwagon.

A final please...



1 Microsoft, go in the direction to develop Skype as a world standard. You will have to open up its algorithms so others can view/create the video feeds, but it should be done. We might even pay for it then.

2 Or Apple, publish Facetime specs as you promised and bully the world into implementing them. But you will have to integrate iChat, text messaging as well.

3 Could someone please try to integrate the telecom SMS system into the whole as well.

4 The rest of you hopefuls, get off the bandwagon.

I don't really care for rights or costs, I just want one program that allows me to text, phone and video with anyone. Standards, gentlemen, standards.

No comments: